Agostino

The novel Agostino by Alberto Moravia was an interesting read. I can confidently say that the story was not what I was expecting it to be. When the novel started, I enjoyed reading the story and seeing the progression of the character. It began to confuse me and then shock me with the content of the story. It followed a young Agostino on a vacation with his mother and all of the things that happen to them. The story examines the intricacies and confusion of growing up. He struggles with bullying and being picked on by older boys. He then becomes eager to belong to the group that had previously picked on him. He explores his confusing feelings surrounding his mother as she leaves him alone daily. He feels overprotective and confusing sexual feelings. 

Most of the story takes place on the beach and I enjoyed reading that. I like when stories take place in natural environments and can greatly explain the setting of the story. A strong story setting creates a more enjoyable reading experience. 

The first theme I noticed, as I am sure everyone else did, was how it seemed a bit Oedipus-like. The Oedipus Complex is a widely known theory where a young child will view their opposite-sex parent in a sexual manner and compete with their same-sex parent. Eventually, as the child grows, they lose those desires. It was pretty uncomfortable to read, especially after the bullies spark Agostino's thoughts. He then begins to spy on his mother in hopes of seeing her naked. He describes her movements in great deal as he peeks on her. He has a seemingly love-hate relationship with his mother and almost uses his newfound friends as an escape from her. After this, he and his friends go spy on a brothel although they do not enter it. I was very shocked that the boys did not enter the brothel as it seemed like they were going to. It was important to the story that the boys showed the restraint to not enter the brothel. Because of that, I thought that he would have clarified his feelings surrounding his mother before the end of the story. 

My question is, how do you think the story would have changed had Agostino entered the brothel?

Personally, I think that he would have lost all of his childhood innocence in an extremely short amount of time. That exposure would have been too mature and scaring for the young boy. 


Comments

  1. Hi,

    Intriguing bit about Oedipus! In my blog post I drew a connection to Freud's theories about mothers and sons, but your example seems more fitting in the way the feeling vanishes as the child moves into adulthood. I agree with your assessment that his so-called "friends" serve as an escape from his mother. The more time he spends away from her, the more indifferent his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. "I thought that he would have clarified his feelings surrounding his mother before the end of the story."

    So what doesn't he? What holds him back?

    (And thanks for the tag "Moravia," but do add some other tags to indicate some of the key themes or concepts of your post.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I enjoyed reading your perspective on this week's text. I also made comparisons to Freud's Oedipus complex in my post and found Agostino's relationship with his mother uncomfortable to read. I like how you made note of Agostino's childhood innocence. I think his main goal right now is to rid himself of this innocence but is disappointed when he realizes it won't be that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I think it was good that Agostino did not enter because as you said, that would have removed all of its innocence and I believe the fact that even thought he experience all of this things that change his innocence vision, the fact that he does not entered makes the story better as he will continue to experience his teenage yers discovering new things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Shrouded Woman Analysis

Georges Perec