Robert Bolaño's Amulet: My Thoughts


Roberto Bolaño's Amulet was much more violent than I expected the story to be. It focuses on the War in Mexico as told through the perspective of Auxilio Lacouture. Lacouture is a Uruguayan woman who moved to Mexico in the 1960's. I think this has been my favourite book so far as I have found a better way to read the later books compared to some of the initial ones read. Bolaño writes such a tragic and horrifying story with so much tranquility and peacefulness. For such a sad story, it is described very beautifully. 

This novel taught me about the war and massacre of Tlatelolco in 1968. I had never even heard of the Tlatelolco massacre until this reading. Similar to Manea's novel, the story draws from real life instances to educate the readers about history. I think it is important to read novel's of this kind. We consume so much news and media content that we have become desensitized to violence in the world. 

Lacouture is forced to take shelter in a woman's bathroom during the War in Mexico in the 1960's. She hides from the military in the bathroom for many days on the University campus. While her peers are arrested and killed, she hides from the police for fourteen-days. She is then the only person who holdouts being on campus during that time. She spends her time thinking about both her past and her future as the story jumps between the two. I find the way that the story was written to be very interesting. It seemed as though there were tangents that held little information, followed by paragraphs full of information. 

Similarly to other stories, I think that the aim of this novel is to appreciate the story in it's entirety, rather than rip it apart looking for specifics. This course has taught me to read older literature with a different approach. Rather than hyper-fixate on details, it is important to read between the lines and learn from the entirety of the story. I appreciate getting to learn this new way of reading older literature as it makes it much more interesting. 

The ending of the story was the most impactful in my opinion. The "ghost-children" singing and walking together, it has a more ominous and apocalyptic tone than the rest of the story. My question to my classmates is: Was this also the most impactful part of the story for you? If not, what was? 


Comments

  1. Hi Madi, just to clarify. The context is not about a war in Mexico, but about a broad protest movement, with a leading students role. You can watch Jon's lecture.
    On the other hand, although the novel refers to events from the 1960s, Amulet was published in 1999, so I wouldn't consider it that old.
    Regarding your question, what is your interpretation, and why did it impact you a lot?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Agostino

The Shrouded Woman Analysis

Georges Perec